.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

War of the Genders

A confrontational soapbox for rants and politically incorrect manifestos regarding feminism, chauvinism, dating and gender issues.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

This Blog Sucks

It's time once again to take a critical look at what I'm writing and trying to achieve here.

Looking back at many of the recent posts, it seems I am ranting against women a lot. I fully realize the impression this gives, especially considering the harsh tone I often employ in my writing.

The truth is, I often try to think of topics to write about that attack men, but always come to the conclusion that the problems with men nowadays are cliched and well-known. Most modern men are far from perfect and they embarrass me daily, but male-bashing is so prevalent nowadays that even men automatically agree whenever women rant against men. Try posting a rant about how your ex mistreated you and how all men suck and see what happens...

So I mention the problems with men, but usually within other contexts or while comparing the genders. This light treatment and the fact that women are not used to being attacked this way will make this blog seem one-sided at times.

My harsh comparisons and belligerent tone make people who don't know me think of me as something of a sad, angry misogynist, and I am aware of this. I am also aware that the same thoughts can be wrapped in a nicer bundle of comfortable words that will alienate fewer people. But I've had enough of harmless, politically-correct, fearful articles that try to please people who will merely read and move on, mostly unaffected. I'm not here to make you feel better, I'm here to provoke with ideas and thoughts.

Then again, I suppose I can tone it down somewhat and still deliver my point, and some recent articles attempted that approach.

I am not a misogynist or misanthrope. I am a calm, romantic individual who treats both genders gently in real life, but who also happens to enjoy heated debates and gender issues.

What bothers me is that I don't get comments. Not because I want attention and my ego mourns the fact that I'm not popular, but because I was hoping to be challenged and corrected so I can improve my viewpoints and arguments. Where are you people?

If you don't attack me I'm going to start thinking that I'm right, and we can't have that now can we...

In any case, barring feedback, I may attempt some different kinds of articles in the near future. Too much negativity is bad for everyone, even if it comes from a positive source.

5 Comments:

said...

I suppose you're right. But I can always hope for a handful of people with the brains to comment or attack. It can't be that hopeless.

April 26, 2005 1:21 pm  
said...

I love your blog and rue that I did not encounter it sooner. To read your views is such a relief because I am tired of reading the same of pseudo-intellectual-babble about the genders and life in general.

The thing I love about your blog is that it is so human and so thought provoking, rather than mind-numbing. You don't take the world at face-value, no - you look at it straight in the eye and demand answers by asking questions. Honestly, I wish there were more people with your attitude on the blogosphere.

I have made many mistakes with my own blog - and heck I still do. I find it puzzling when one post gets 30 odd comments, and another post is left with no comments at all. I guess certain topics are more 'popular' than others.

I think it is harder to comment on a viewpoint that you agree with as opposed to comments that you disagree with. For some reason it is blogging behaviour (in my observation) that people are more likely to respond in criticism, rather than praise to a blog article. I sometimes wonder if the saying "no news is good news" as far as comments on blogs go. ;)

July 15, 2007 5:47 pm  
said...

Thanks.

Yes, I suppose some hot-button topics are more popular than others (see how many comments I get when I talk about abortion for example).

But I often wonder whether some of the deeper topics don't get commented on because people don't find it interesting, or because they don't know what to do with it/have no thoughts to add on it, or simply because they agree with it.

July 19, 2007 11:46 am  
said...

I agree with Embar about the quality of your blog and your posting. I think the material I have read thus far (and that's not much at the moment) is exceptional in its approach and that you are pioneering, as Embar is, in a field that has otherwise been polarized, and _that_ is one of the main problems; the polarization.

I believe that this polarization of extremes is one of the major problems that humanity faces in the 21st Century, and that polarization is what is exploited in order to keep movements moving and situations selling newspapers, and people distracted and off-balance, so they don't have time to think and consider.

So I don't think your blog sucks but when I find something I disagree with here, I will most certainly tell you , as clearly and succinctly as I can.

Remember too, the world has been dumbed down and people are afraid and there are a lot of factors pushing on people, internally and externally. Cultural differences also present a number of problems for genders. But there is also the idea Embar alluded to, and that you yourself named and I've observed this too: when a truthful observation is made there is often not much to say about it, and sometimes it means going away and considering what one has now had put in front of one. I've seen conversations dry up when I or another has made an astute and insightful observation, and I believe that this is because, that new revelation, that new realization does not permit those who come across it fresh, are quite able to know, at that moment, what to do with it, other than give it time to be considered. And yes, it can mean you are simply right. But recognizing the rightness of others is not always the strongest point in human nature. There is intellectual oppression.

Also, a balanced perspective will, by its very nature be very difficult for those who thrive on polarization to do anything with. It resolves the issue of polarization, and faces reality head on. Polarized viewpoints cannot do this, it means they must abandon their position, and what bigot finds that easy? None I've ever come across.

So keep up the good work, and start promoting it wider. This issue of Gender Wars is one of _the_ issues of our times and you, Embar and a couple of others are blazing a good trail from a far better, more intelligent perspective.

September 28, 2007 9:17 am  
said...

At times I am labeled a bigot, racist, chauvinist or fundamentalist so sometimes I think that it's not as simple as two polarized extremes and one balance in the middle. But of course this is all relative, and, in addition, it may be just another example of what you mentioned: extreme reaction from polarized viewpoints that don't want to abandon their black and white stance.

October 05, 2007 4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home